The search for a young child reported as being unaccompanied in Hemel Hempstead earlier this afternoon has been stood down.
At 2.40pm today (Thursday June 17) officers received a call from a member of the public who told them they had seen the young child on their own without an adult in Mayo Gardens, off Anchor Lane, Hemel Hempstead.
The child was described as a boy aged around four to six years old, with blond hair.
He was last seen wearing a yellow T-shirt, but no trousers or shoes. He ran off in the direction of The Cornfields.
There was a heavy police presence in the area as police continued to carry out searches.
However, it has now been confirmed that the search has been called off.
Sign up to the HertsLive newsletter
If you’re looking for a way to stay up to date with the latest breaking news from around Hertfordshire, the HertsLive newsletter is a good place to start.
The twice-daily update will deliver the top news and features straight to your inbox.
We choose the most important stories of the day to include in the newsletter, including crime, court news, long reads, traffic and travel, food and drink articles and more.
Signing up to the newsletter is simple. All you have to do is to click here and type in your email address.
It’s one of the many ways that you can read the news that matters to you from HertsLive.
A Hertfordshire Constabulary spokesperson said: “We have carried out extensive searches in the area where the child was reportedly seen, including making house to house enquiries.
“No children matching the description have been found.”
Any further calls will be acted upon accordingly and officers will continue to pay attention to the area throughout the evening.
If you have any information, you can call the police immediately on 999, quoting ISR 438 of 17 June.