Dog spends birthday in vets after swallowing spatula covered in cake mix

A dog’s birthday celebration almost ended in disaster after he swallowed a spatula covered in cake mix.

Rebecca Deacon, from Dunstable, had made Bosco, 8, a cake to celebrate, as the family does every year but he soon ended up in a Hemel Hempstead vets needing emergency treatment.

Rebecca had finished icing the pet-friendly carrot cake, and offered her Boxer a lick of the spoon.

Unfortunately, Bosco was so eager to lick the icing he also swallowed the spatula, as well as the cake batter.

Rebecca explained: “My daughters made a carrot cake this year, so after dinner I went to ice it. Normally I put some pet-friendly peanut butter on top, and while I was doing it, Bosco was standing there drooling as he could smell it.

Find out the latest news in your area by entering your postcode below:

“It’s kind of gloopy and some of it was stuck to the spatula so I reached down and let him lick it off.

“He likes yogurt and we let him lick the spoon when we have it, so I never thought anything of it.

“But he was trying to grab the spatula, so I went to pull it away and the top of it came off the handle.”

While it caused the family to go into panic, Bosco wasn’t phased by what he’d just eaten.

The mum continued: “It literally happened in an instant. I looked down and the top of the spatula was gone! He was just standing there, he looked totally untroubled, but we panicked at the thought of him having this big bit of plastic in him.”

Soon, he was rushed into a Vets Now emergency clinic in Hemel Hempstead, where he could be given urgent treatment.

Bosco has now made a full recovery after his treatment
(Image: VetsNow)

Rebecca had to wait in the car due to Covid restrictions as vets worked out the best plan for Bosco.

Senior vet Michelle Dawson said: ““We quickly established that the best way to deal with this was to give Bosco an injection to make him sick so that he brought up the soft plastic.

“That usually works quickly, so with Rebecca’s agreement we went ahead and gave Bosco the injection. He was really brave and didn’t even notice it happen.”

Sign up to the HertsLive newsletter

If you’re looking for a way to stay up to date with the latest breaking news from around Hertfordshire, the HertsLive newsletter is a good place to start.

The daily update will deliver the top news and features to your inbox.

We choose the most important stories of the day to include in the newsletter, including crime, court news, long reads, traffic and travel, food and drink articles and more.

Signing up to the newsletter is simple. All you have to do is to click here and type in your email address.

It’s one of the many ways that you can read the news that matters to you from HertsLive.

Thankfully, Bosco quickly made a recovery and is back on form – and has finally been able to enjoy his birthday cake.

Rebecca said: “He was sick and had diarrhoea for a while but when it settled, we got him home. He was a bit subdued, but he perked up over the next few days and soon got better.

“So much so he even had his birthday cake. It was really quite traumatic at the time but I can laugh about it now and a friend even ordered me a new spatula!

“It was just a relief to have somewhere like Vets Now to turn to at that time of night.”

Vets Now has even offered to send Bosco his own birthday treat, to make up for the injection he was given on the night.

The chain of vets always have a vet and nurse on site, as well as offering video consultations.

HertsLive – Hemel Hempstead